Ciao, cosa stai cercando? Premi INVIO per iniziare la ricerca

IN THE HEART OF THE DOLOMITES

Canale d’Agordo is in the centre of the Valle del Biois, bordered to the west by Passo Valles and Passo San Pellegrino. Both passes provide a comfortable comunication with Trentino. To the east, instead, Canale d’Agordo is bordered by Cencenighe Agordino. The majestic tops of Mount Civetta, Cima Pape, the Lastéi (Focobon Group), the imposing Plateau of the Comelle and the Cime d’Auta, all of them UNESCO World heritage since 2009 thanks to the beauty and variety of their landscape, act as a background to the mountain village.

The valley includes the important tourist resorts of Falcade and Caviola with the San Pellegrino ski area and the background skiing pists of Falcade and Val di Gares. Canale d’Agordo has got accomodation facilities and eating places, among them there are mountain pastures, farmhouses and mountain huts set in a pristine environment.

THE PLACES OF POPE LUCIANI

Albino Luciani’s natal home, located at about 200 m from the main square, was once composed of a stable, hayloft and home.

The church of the Pieve of San Giovanni Battista (14th century) is the place where little Albino got the sacraments. It houses works by Brustolon, Besarel, Da Pos and some memorials of John Paul I such as the altar by the sculptor Dante Moro and the statue by the artist Riccardo Cenedese, which is a pilgrimage destination.

The Stations of the Cross, which start at the main square and develop for about 2 km, are made up of 15 Dolomite rocks on which bronze castings by Franco Murer are set. Their unveiling took place on the thirthieth anniversary of Albino Luciani’s election. Along the itinerary there is still an altarpiece which reminds the relationship between Luciani and the sanctuary of Pietralba (BZ), where he used to go on foot as a child.

OTHER PLACES OF INTEREST

Canale d’Agordo is an old historic and religious centre of the Valle del Biois, also called ‘the valley with saints at the windows’ for its old votive frescoes. It was born as a medieval mining centre and it is still the seat of the Pieve of San Giovanni Battista, which included the whole Valle del Biois in the past. Canale d’Agordo was governed by the system of the Rules, old collective ownerships, which were managed democratically by the family heads. The only evidence of these old organisms is the Casa delle Regole (House of Rules), a magnificent building of 1640. Not far from it there is the first Italian Cooperative Dairy (1890) founded by Father Antonio Della Lucia.

In Vallada Agordina, nearby Canale d’Agordo, stands the splendid momumental church of San Simon (12th century) with frescoes by Paris Bordon, works by Haller, Cesa, Rovisi as well as the adjacent building called Confraternità dei Battuti (1361). The church of San Rocco in Celat with its frescoes by Paulitti is of great value, too. Other art monuments worth visiting are in the churches of the hamlets Carfon, Sappade, Caviola, Falcade Alto and Garés.

Valle di Garés, that extends for 7 km from Canale d’Agordo, is a real natural treasure. The beautiful Comelle waterfalls, with their homonymous plateau along with the biotope of the Garés lake and the Pala group (Pale di San Martino) act as a crown to the whole valley.

MUSEUM REALITIES

The Valle del Biois area also offers other sites of cultural interest such as the Augusto Murer Museum (Falcade), which houses works of the great master or the Dairy Museum of Fedèr (Canale d’Agordo), which shows the 19th century atmosphere in cooperative dairies accurately. Another interesting site is the Garden of Remembrance (Canale d’Agordo) which recreates the battles of the Russian Campaign on a scale.

In Agordino there are other museums worth to be mentioned and visited, too: the Vittorino Cazzetta Museum of Paleontology and Archaeology (Selva di Cadore); the Castle of Andràz (Livinallongo), a manor-house dating back to the 11th century, where the famous philosopher Nicolò Cusano lived; the Great War Museum on the Marmolada, the highest museum in Europe.